Impact of COVID-19 on HDR cohort

For information relating to the impact of COVID-19 on our cohort please go to COVID-19 FAQs for HDR .

Online Application

Information for assessors

Assessors can view a list of frequently asked questions and answers for the online application system in the Wiki. Log in with your OneID.

Information for applicants

Applicants can view a list of frequently asked questions and answers for the online application system in the help guide.

Prospective Research Degree Students

What are the admission criteria for research degree programs?

Information about the entry requirements for research degree programs is available at: http://bookstore.paranormalresponse.com/research/phd-and-research-degrees/how-to-apply

What forms do I need to use to apply for admission?

Applicants are requested to apply on line.  Information about How to Apply is available at http://bookstore.paranormalresponse.com/research/phd-and-research-degrees/how-to-apply

The application form for research candidature and scholarship and the Scholarship only application form can be downloaded from http://bookstore.paranormalresponse.com/research/phd-and-research-degrees/how-to-apply/forms

If you are applying for a scholarship, please clearly indicate the scholarship(s) you wish to be considered for under the scholarships section of the application. The same set of supporting documents will be used for both candidature and scholarship processing.

Are there application fees?

No application fee is required for Macquarie University's research degree programs.

What are the Tuition fees?

All programs for international candidates are fee-paying programs. A flat fee is generally charged for each program. Fees are payable for the entire period for which the student is enrolled and will be indexed each year.

Tuition fees for the time-based research unit are calculated on a pro-rata basis and are based on load and the liability category. For detailed calculation of tuition fees, please visit the University's Fees website.Candidates who are required to complete the Master of Research as research training pathway program will be charged the MRes Fees accordingly.  First year Master of Research will be charged on a per-credit point basis while in second year, it is charged on an annual basis.

Domestic candidates (Australian citizens/ Permanent Residents and New Zealand citizens) are granted a tuition fee offset scholarship for their tuition fees for research degree programs, under the Research Training Program (RTP). Candidates enrolling in the Bachelor of Philosophy for the first year of the Master of Research will be supported under the Commonwealth Supported Places while second year is funded through the RTP.

If I do not meet the entry requirement for the research programs, are there any pathway programs?

Prospective candidates who do not meet the entry requirement for a PhD or an MPhil may undertake the pathway program, Master of Research (MRes).

Can I study part-time?

All international candidates who are studying in Australia under the student visa must study full-time. Domestic candidates may choose to study full-time or part-time. All scholarship recipients (including both domestic and international) must study full-time, unless there are exceptional circumstances and approval for part-time study has been granted.

Can I apply for PhD admission and do the research in my home country without coming to Australia?

Macquarie University normally expects international candidates to undertake their research on campus. Candidates will need to obtain prior approval from the faculty if their intended place of research is outside Australia. Admission to undertake research degrees outside Australia is possible in special circumstances with the approval of the Higher Degree Research Management Committee (HDRMC).

The following must be in place before admission can be approved:

  • the candidate and the department in which the candidate is to be registered must each provide detailed information about how supervisory arrangements are scheduled;
  • adequate supervision must be ensured through face-to-face contacts, emails, skype and/or phone contacts especially during the final phase of thesis preparation;
  • the place of study and research (with appropriate facilities for the research concerned) outside the University must be approved by the HDRMC;
  • the HDRMC, on the recommendation of the Faculty Associate Dean (High Degree Research) and Head of Department, will appoint a suitably qualified person at the place of study as an Adjunct Supervisor for the candidate.

What is the University's English language requirement? If the medium of instruction of my undergraduate studies was in English, do I still have to show Proof of English?

Please refer to Proof of English Proficiency section on the following page: How to Apply

How do I seek an English language waiver?

No waiver to this language requirement is given.

If I do not meet the English language requirements, can I come to Macquarie and do some English courses first?

You have sat an approved English Language test as above, but do not meet the minimum band scores in one skill area but are otherwise eligible for a program of study, you may be issued an offer of study that includes an English preparation program at the Macquarie University English Language Centre (ie, a packaged offer). International students with a packaged offer can apply for a single student visa covering both their English preparation program and their course of study at Macquarie University.

More information on the English language requirements is availalble here.

Can a Higher Degree Research Student apply for and start a PhD all year round?

Candidates seeking admissions to research candidature at Macquarie may apply at anytime. There are two intakes for research students: first half year and second half year. The University expects that candidates commencing in first half year will commence early in the enrolment period. However it is important that every effort is made to commence in time to attend the Central Commencement Program and the associated Faculty Commencement Programs to ensure the best possible and informed start to research degree candidature.

What is the difference between Macquarie's Master of Research and a Master degree (from MQ, other Australian universities or overseas)?

The Master of Research is our research training pathway program for preparation to the 3 year PhD program.  Generally the master degree is a postgraduate degree by coursework and may nor may not have a research component.  The Master of Research (MRes) is a specially designed program comprised of advanced study in a chosen discipline including research training components providing a pathway to PhD candidature. It is a program designed to align with international research training qualifications.  For more details about the MRes program, please check the Graduate Research Academy website: http://bookstore.paranormalresponse.com/research/phd-and-research-degrees/research-training

I completed a Master degree, do I need to complete Master of Research as pathway program to PhD or can I apply for PhD straight way?

If you have completed a Master degree but do not meet the entry criteria for our 3 year PhD, you may apply for admission to the Master of Research program. You will need to meet the entry criteria for the MRes program.  Candidates with previous study at Bachelor Honours or Masters level may receive credit towards the MRes for a maximum of 50% of the program.

I am an international candidate. What kind of visa will I need in order to study at Macquarie University?

International students undertaking a Higher Degree Research program will need to apply for a student visa (Subclass 500) to study in Australia.

Students may apply for a student visa by following the “Step-by-Step” guideline which is listed on the DHA website. They may also apply for their student visa through one of the University’s registered agents. The list of official representatives is listed on Macquarie International’s website.

Degree CRICOS code: 076986B

How will my qualifications gained overseas be assessed?

In order to rank all applicants against a common standard of assessment, the University refers to the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR) Country Education Profiles for the assessment of qualifications gained at overseas institutions. These guidelines provide a comparison of the overseas qualification against the Australian system of education.  Please note that failure to provide adequate documentation such as full transcripts of all tertiary studies (and an official certified English translation if the original is not in English) may jeopardise your application.

You may include other documentation of your achievements as appropriate, to assist in the assessment of your application.  It is recommended that you also discuss your qualifications and application with an academic staff member in your proposed area of study.

More information is available at the Australian Government’s Study in Australia web resource.

MRes General FAQs

What are the main features of the Master of Research (MRes) program?

The Master of Research is a combination of advanced disciplinary coursework and structured research training. In preparation for their individual research projects, candidates will survey key ground-breaking and innovative research issues in their chosen field, while developing skills in research practice and project management. The MRes provides an improved pathway to higher research degrees, equipping candidates with intensive research experience before beginning doctoral study (PhD). As the first Australian program fully compatible with overseas practice, the MRes also provides greater international recognition and opportunities for further study overseas.

What is the difference between Macquarie's Master of Research and a Masters by Research somewhere else?

As a combination of advanced coursework and research training, the MRes is different to other Research Masters currently available in Australia. Most Australian universities offer two research degrees, the doctorate (normally the PhD) and a Research Masters, usually a Master of Philosophy (MPhil). Candidates gain admission to the MPhil after completing a Pathway program (such as a Bachelor Honours degree). They then undertake a large research project. The MRes is an improved Pathway program, providing candidates with deeper and broader knowledge of their discipline area and more substantial research skills before they enter higher research degrees.

I'm enrolled in an Honours degree now. Am I also required to complete the MRes in order to gain entry to PhD?

Candidates commencing higher degree research (HDR) degrees at Macquarie from 1 January 2014 will need to have completed the Master of Research or equivalent (equivalence is subject to review on a case by case basis). Candidates who have completed an honours degree (or a Masters by coursework) may receive up to 80 credit points towards the MRes program based on the content of previous study. Candidates who receive 80 credit points as credit for previous study (or recognition for prior learning) would effectively start in Year 2 of the program and then will be eligible to progress to a PhD upon successful completion of Year 2 of the MRes and meeting the requirements.

What is the duration of the program?

The duration of the MRes program is two years full-time, or equivalent part-time.

Can I study part-time?

Domestic candidates may study part-time. Most international candidates must study full time except in those cases where the candidate's visa permits them to undertake part-time studies.  Please note that part-time status may affect eligibility for financial support.

Is this program available by distance?

This program is not available to study by distance, though some Year 1 units may be available by distance education.

How many candidates will be admitted to the program?

There is no cap on candidate places. All applicants approved for the program will be admitted.

What is the CRICOS course code?

Course Code

Course Name


Master of Research (Faculty of Arts)


Master of Research (Faculty of Business and Economics)


Master of Research (Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences)


Master of Research (Faculty of Science and Engineering)

What are the entry requirements for the Master of Research (MRes) course?

For admission to the program candidates must have a bachelor degree from a recognised institution, at a specified level of performance, usually the equivalent of a credit average (65 per cent) in their final year (or 300-level). Some disciplines may have extra admission requirements such as a portfolio of work or a higher level of performance of bachelor study. Please see the Admission Requirements website for details.

What if my undergraduate 300 level average results are just below 65?

Consideration will be given to marginal results on a case by case basis.

How do I submit an application for admission into the Master of Research (MRes) program?

Information about the online application process can been found at:

When should I submit my application?

Generally, Domestic applications for S2 commencement close on 30 April and International applications for S2 commencement close on 31 March each year.

International Scholarship applications for the following year commencement will open on 01 May and close on 31 July.

For other important dates, please click here

What if I have missed the deadline for applications?

Late applications received shortly after the closing deadline (1 or 2 days) may be considered on a case by case basis but priority is given to on-time applications. Otherwise, they will be considered for the next available intake.

Do I need to find a supervisor?

You do not need to find a supervisor. If you are applying for entry into Year 1; your supervision arrangement will be confirmed in consultation with you as you commence your Year 2 research project.  If you are applying for entry into Year 2 and meet the entry requirements, supervision arrangements will be made based on your research proposal and suitable supervision available.

Do I need to prepare a research proposal?

A brief research proposal (1-2 pages) will be required prior to entry to Year 2 of the Master of Research.  This will help the department to identify potential supervisors for you.

Should I include a CV with my application?

Applicants are required to submit a CV which outlines their experience and achievements to support their application.

Do I need referee reports?

No academic referee reports are required.

How do I know which Faculty to select?

By indicating your discipline focus we will be able to align you with one of our Faculties.

What is a Discipline focus?

An academic discipline, or field of study, is a branch of knowledge that is taught and researched at university level. Usually, candidates who have completed an undergraduate degree will have completed a Major (or equivalent) in a certain academic field. This is an example of a field of study.

Do I need to choose a Discipline focus in Year 1?

Yes, you will have a discipline focus in Year 1. We will ask you for an optional sub-discipline focus if you have one.  This will help us in allocating you to a Faculty and a department or discipline, where you can get academic advice. There is flexibility to choose your units of advanced disciplinary content from across the whole range of the university's MRes offerings. However, you will need academic approval for your program, to guarantee it will provide you with the right preparation for later study.

My undergraduate degree will not be completed until Session 3, rather than the current session 2. Will that affect my eligibility for the MRes to start in Session 1?

You should apply for the MRes at the normal time and make it clear that you intend to complete your degree by the end of session 3. This will still be within time for the start of the MRes coursework in session 1. Your graduation date does not affect your eligibility.

How can I verify that my application is complete and that you have received all the required documentation?

If you apply online via the eApplication, the system will alert you if there are any outstanding documents. Our team will also check the required documents at the pre-assessment level and will advise you if any required information is missing.

When will I be notified of the outcome of my application?

You will be notified of the outcome of your application within approximately 6-8 weeks after receipt of your complete application.

Can I obtain credit exemption from some part of the program because of my previous studies (Recognition of Prior Learning)?

Candidates who have completed a Bachelor honours degree or a Masters by coursework may receive up to 80 credit points towards the program, based on the content of their previous study. Candidates who receive 80 credit points as credit for previous study (CPS) or recognition of prior learning (RPL) would effectively start in Year 2 of the program.

I have already completed a Masters degree with a dissertation, will I receive advanced standing (exemptions)?

Candidates who have completed a Masters degree with a dissertation (or an honours degree) may receive up to 80 credit points towards the program, based on the content of their previous study. Candidates who receive 80 credit points as credit for previous study (CPS) or recognition of prior learning (RPL) would effectively start in Year 2 of the program.

Is there a specific enrolment day?

Enrolment procedures will be outlined in your offer letter. There will not be a specific day. Enrolment and approved units will be processed by the Graduate Research Academy starting 2 weeks prior to commencement.

Do I need to declare a discipline or can I select units from across various Faculties?

It is important to align candidates with a Faculty and department or discipline. There is the flexibility to select units from across all 700 level units.  However, selection of units will be subject to academic approval.

Is there a minimum number of units I should enrol in each semester?

Full time candidates are required to enrol in a minimum of 3 units per semester. However, in order to complete within 1 year candidates should enrol in a standard load of 4 units per semester.

Part time candidates may enrol in a maximum of 2 units per semester. They should plan to complete year 1 of the program within 2 years.

Candidates must ensure they are enrolled in sufficient units to complete the coursework component of their program (year 1) within the required time frame.

A student who is taking an unduly long time to complete a program of study may be excluded from further enrolment. An unduly long period of time for the Bachelor of Philosophy is considered to be effective enrolment longer than 4 years. For further information, see General Coursework Rules.

Will I have access to study space?

There is a dedicated postgraduate study area in the Library, with about 160 individual study spaces available to MRes candidates, using their student cards. MRes candidates need to apply for access through the library.

Is the Master of Research enrolment continuous, like the Master of Philosophy?

Year 1 of the Master of Research program is based around sessional enrolment periods. Year 2 is a time based program like the Master of Philosophy. Progression from Year 1 to Year 2 is dependent on satisfactory completion of Year 1.

What if my Year 1 results do not meet the minimum to continue into Year 2 of the program?

Any candidate who passes the first year of the MRes program will be eligible to continue to Year 2. Candidates whose results do not meet the minimum to automatically continue into Year 2 may choose to withdraw from the program or enrol in Year 1 units in the following session, subject to academic approval.

What if I decide I don't want to continue after the first year of MRes?

Candidates who successfully complete Year 1 of the program and decide not to continue on to Year 2 may exit with the Bachelor of Philosophy degree. Candidates should contact the Graduate Research Academy for information about how to exit with the Bachelor of Philosophy.

What are the fees for the MRes program?

In Year 1, domestic candidates are enrolled in the Bachelor of Philosophy (BPhil) as Commonwealth supported students and are liable for student contribution amounts which can be deferred through the HECS-HELP scheme if they are eligible.

In the second year of the MRes, the University uses the Commonwealth Government’s Research Training Program (RTP) to support tuition fee offset scholarships for domestic candidates, i.e. Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and Australian Permanent Humanitarian visa holders. Domestic candidates entering the second year of the program are automatically considered for a tuition fee offset scholarship. Candidates in receipt of tuition fee offset scholarships are not required to pay tuition fees.

International candidates are required to pay fees for the whole program.

A full description of the fees for this program can be found on http://www.hdr.paranormalresponse.com/information_about/research_training_degrees/additional_info/fees.

Comprehensive information on fee matters can also be found at the following locations:

I am a domestic candidate.  Will I automatically be on a Commonwealth Supported Place in Year 1?  Are there forms to complete?

Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and Australian Permanent Humanitarian visa holders are eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) in the first year of MRes.  As a CSP candidate, you are liable for a portion of the total cost of your tuition, with the Commonwealth Government funding the University the balance of that total cost.

You must complete an eCAF (online Commonwealth Assistance Form). This is your agreement to pay the candidate contribution amount, either via an up-front payment with discount via a HECS-HELP (you must supply your Tax File Number), or in full (if you are not eligible for discount or HECS-HELP).

When and how do I submit an eCAF?

All eCAFs must be submitted before enrolment. Instructions on how to complete the eCAF can be found at How to Complete eCAF.

I am an international candidate, do I need to complete an eCAF?

No, international candidates are not required to complete an eCAF.

Can I apply for HECS-HELP for the candidate fee contribution?

HECS-HELP is a loan to assist eligible fee paying domestic candidates pay their tuition fees.  Australian citizens and Australian permanent humanitarian visa holders are eligible for HECS-HELP assistance and can pay their tuition fee in one of three ways: full up-front payment, partial up-front payment and obtain a FEE-HELP loan for the remainder; or obtain a HECS-HELP loan for the full amount.  Please check current guidelines at the HECS-HELP website.

Do I need to pay the Student Services and Amenities fee?

Domestic candidates will need to pay the Student Services and Amenities fee in the first year of the MRes program. International candidates do not need to pay this fee.

Can I defer the payment for my Student Services and Amenities fee?

Domestic candidates who do not wish to pay the fee upfront to the University may defer the fee through SA-HELP assistance to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

To defer the SSAF, eligible candidates must complete a separate 'Request for SA-HELP Assistance' form by the relevant census date. A HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP form does not cover the deferral of the SSAF.

What is a census date?

A census date is the deadline by which units can be added or withdrawn from without financial or academic penalty.

What is the census date for the MRes program?

Please refer to MQ Calendar of Dates for the BPhil/MRes Yr1 Census date.

Candidates may withdraw units up until these census date without financial or academic penalty.

Census dates may change each year and candidates are required to check the University website for the census dates.

Census dates for Year 2 are 7 February for Enrolment Period 1 and 7 August for Enrolment Period 2. Candidates are enrolled in a time-based unit in Year 2, and these census dates are the deadlines for changes to study load (full-time to part-time and vice versa), changes to liability status (from international to domestic) etc.  Withdrawal from the time-based unit can occur any time of the year but total load (EFTSL - equivalent full-time study load) will be calculated to the date of withdrawal.  Fees will be calculated to the date of withdrawal for international candidates on a pro-rata basis. Any EFTSL consumed will be counted if the candidate wishes to return to study in any research program in the future.

Are there any stipends or scholarships available for this program?

Yes, domestic candidates can find eligibility criteria, award value and further information on our Research Pathway Scholarships website.

For international students applying for admission into Year 1 of the MRes program are limited to co-funded scholarships with overseas countries. These scholarships are offered by overseas governments to their nationals.

The University also offers a limited number of scholarships to international MRes candidates applying for an MRes/PhD 'bundle' (i.e. MRes Year 2 and 3-year PhD) through the competitive IRTP (International Research Training Program Scholarship) round each year. To be considered for the 'bundle package', please see FAQ's.

I have been admitted directly into Year 2 of the MRes program. Am I eligible for a scholarship?

Macquarie offers a significant number of stipend scholarships to domestic and international candidates.  These are based on academic merit and paid at the same rate as the Research Training Program (RTP) PhD stipend ($28,092 per annum in 2020 tax free).

For newly commencing international candidates, a number of international stipends are offered as a bundle package through the IRTP/IMQRES Scholarship round or through co-funded scholarships with overseas countries. These are determined by assessment based on academic merit and competitive ranking.

I plan to study part-time. Will I be eligible for the stipend or scholarship?

No, part time candidates are not eligible for MRes stipend/scholarship payments.

Is my stipend taxable?

Questions regarding your personal tax situation are generally unique and should be directed to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

The income from some scholarships may also be taken into account by the ATO to calculate certain income support or other Commonwealth payments, so you are urged to seek independent advice regarding your particular situation.

You may like to refer to the ATO scholarship calculation tool to assist you in determining your situation.

Will I be eligible for Austudy or Youth Allowance?

For domestic candidates, the Bachelor of Philosophy is an approved course for the purposes of candidate income support. Candidates may be eligible for candidate income support payments such as Youth Allowance or Austudy, provided all other qualifications are met. Please contact Centrelink directly for further information.

Will I have to reapply for admission into Year 2?

Any BPhil/MRes and MRes candidate who passes all units in the first year of the MRes program will be eligible to continue to Year 2.  You will not need to reapply for admission into Year 2, however you will be required to complete a Progression Form and the Assignment of the Intellectual Property Statement for Year 2.

What will I be studying in Year 2 of the Program?

Year 2 of the MRes program is designed to provide candidates with the best possible preparation for the PhD. Candidates will receive training in research planning, disciplinary-specific research methodologies and project management. They will develop plans for a major research project, surveying background literature both in their sub-disciplinary field and the more specific topic area that is their particular passion. They will also conduct a research project.

The Year 2 program is based around five core activities:

  • Research Frontiers 2
  • Literature Review
  • Research Methods
  • Research Planning
  • Thesis (20,000 words) based on a small research project

Since research varies in different fields, each department has a program based on its own practices and style.

How many words are required for the Year 2 research project?

Candidates in Year 2 of the MRes will complete a research project of approximately 20,000 words in length.

When will my thesis be due?

The thesis due date for candidates commencing in S1 2021 is October 25th 2021 for full-time, and October 25th 2022 for part-time.

What is the minimum grade required to progress from the MRes program into a PhD?

Candidates who obtain a final mark of 75% or above in Year 2 of the MRes may be offered provisional admission into the Doctor of Philosophy. Final approval for admission to the PhD will depend on the quality of your PhD research proposal, the availability of supervision and the examiners reports of your MRes thesis.

What if I don't pass with a high enough average in the MRes to gain admission to PhD?

You may be considered for admission to Master of Philosophy (MPhil) provided you have attained a final mark of 65% or above in Year 2 of the MRes. Final approval for admission to the MPhil will depend on the quality of your PhD research proposal, the availability of supervision and the examiners reports of your MRes thesis.

Continuing Research Degree Candidates

I need to get data offsite from Macquarie, how do I go about it?

Candidates may undertake research at offsite locations with the approval of their faculty and after ensuring all requirements are met. Generally this will involve obtaining approval from the relevant Macquarie University Ethics Committee and approval from the supervisor and department. Hence candidates have to ensure that sufficient time has been allowed for ethics approval, and for the supervisor, department and Faculty Associate Dean (HDR) to consider the application. Faculties and departments are able to advise candidates of the specific requirements relating to the faculty and the area of study.

**COVID-19 UPDATE: Please consult with your Supervisor if you are planning on undertaking off-site research during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some restrictions apply**

I want to go back to my home country for a holiday, do I need to inform the Graduate Research Academy?

Higher Degree Research candidates are entitled to 4 weeks annual leave each year (or pro-rata in the year that they commence). There are no semester breaks for research students. The 4 weeks annual leave is not accruable and must be taken within the year.

If you are a Macquarie University scholarship recipient and would like to take a holiday outside the December/January period, you will need to let the Graduate Research Academy know by completing a Scholarship Leave Request form. However, whether or not you are a scholarship holder, you must discuss your leave timing and arrangements in advance with the Principal Supervisor. Annual leave arrangements should not interfere with research program plans.

If you wish to take leave in excess of eight weeks, you must apply for Leave of Absence for PhD/MPhil and Leave for Absence for MRes Y2 which will be approved at the discretion of the Faculty and the Higher Degree Research Committee. Leave of Absence is generally approved under exceptional circumstances. International candidates need to be aware that normal Leave of Absence requests are generally not allowed under student visa conditions.

Under the current Higher Degree Research policy, all research candidates are expected to work on average about 40 hours per week or more on enrolment research. Part-time candidates are expected to spend an average of 20 hours per week on enrolment research.  International candidates may apply for a work visa after enrolment if wanting to undertake other work. Although the work visa allows international candidates to work up to 20 hours per week on other work, at least 40 hours per week on average must still be spent on enrolment research. Scholarship recipients are restricted to an average of 14 hours per week on non-enrolment work.

I was enrolled as an International candidate but now I have obtained my Permanent Residence Visa, what do I do to change to a domestic student status?

International candidates who have gained Australian Permanent Residency (PR) status will need to report this to the Graduate Research Academy without delay. If the PR status is granted before the Census Date (7 February in Enrolment Period 1 and 7 August in Enrolment Period 2), you will need to bring your passport with the appropriate visa label, which shows your permanent residency status, to the Graduate Research Academy immediately and complete the required form. This will enable you to be given a Research Training Program (RTP) place, which means that you will no longer be required to pay tuition fees for the remainder of the enrolment period in which you are enrolled.

If PR status is granted after the Enrolment Period Census Date, the change of status and allocation of an RTP place will take effect from the beginning of the next Enrolment Period, providing the appropriate form is completed and lodged before the Census Date of the following Enrolment Period. The candidate will maintain the international status for that Enrolment Period and will be liable for any tuition fees for that Enrolment Period until the change of status takes effect from the following Enrolment Period.

My student visa is expiring soon, what do I do to extend my student visa?

If you are an international HDR candidate and your visa is expiring, you will need to contact the Graduate Research Academy to arrange for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to extend your student visa.

In order that a new COE may be issued, you will need to:

  • Complete a "Request for COE Extension" form which is available from Graduate Research Academy
  • Ensure that you have paid all outstanding fees
  • Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in accordance with the visa requirement. Under the requirements,  research candidates will need to have valid OSHC 8 months after the extended course end date.

The Graduate Research Academy will check your passport, OSHC and payment details. Upon verification, the Graduate Research Academy will issue a new COE. You may then contact the Department of Home Affairs to apply for a visa extension.

I am a scholarship recipient and my scholarship will expire soon. Will I need to pay fees?

International scholarship holders who have not submitted their thesis by the scholarship expiry date will be required to pay tuition fee unless:

- approval has been given to extend the scholarship; or

- the department/faculty has agreed to pay their fees

Tuition fees are payable until the day of thesis submission. For details about calculation of Research tuition fees, please visit the University's Fees website for details.

Stipend payments will cease for scholarship holders who have not submitted the thesis before the scholarship expiry date unless either an approval has been given to extend the scholarship, or a Completion scholarship has been approved.

Can I change place of study from onsite (Within) Australia to offsite(Outside) Australia?

Higher Degree Research (HDR) candidates are generally enrolled as onsite (internal) for their mode of study. HDR candidates wishing to conduct their research outside Australia as offsite candidates need to get the support from their supervisor and the Faculty. The University has to satisfy that adequate supervisory arrangements can be made before approval is granted. In some cases, an adjunct supervisor may need to be appointed.

If onsite international candidates are approved for offsite candidature part-way through their candidature, they will be reported to the Department of Home Affairs against their Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and their student visa may be cancelled. They will be expected to leave Australia and continue their research outside Australia.

Candidates wishing to go overseas to collect data will also need to apply for Offsite research (OSR). Temporary Offsite research may be granted for up to 12 months in general.

What is the last date of fee payment?

Fees are payable in advance. International candidates are required to pay a Commencement fee which is equivalent to one semester's fee upon their acceptance of the offer. The Commencement fee is equivalent to the tuition fee for the first commencing semester and will be credited against that tuition fee.

For continuing candidates, fees must be paid at the beginning of each Enrolment Period/Session, ie by 25 January for Session 1 (1 January to 30 June) and by 25 July for Session 2 (1 July to 31 December).

International candidates whose scholarship is expiring during an Enrolment Period are expected to pay their tuition fees due at the beginning of the Enrolment Period, before the payment due date.  Fees are calculated from the end of the scholarship expiry date until the end of the Enrolment Period.  If the candidate submits the thesis by the scholarship end date, fees will be recalculated, and any credit balance will be refunded to the candidate.

Candidates are expected to check the Statement of Outstanding Charges through 'My Finances' via e-Student. Fees are to be paid by the due date shown on the Statement of Outstanding Charges. Any queries about fee payment should be addressed to Student Fees section at student_fees@paranormalresponse.com. Candidates who do not pay their fees by the due date risk enrolment cancellation under the University Policy. Fees paid after the Payment Due Date will also attract a late Payment Penalty of AUS$200.

Scholarship Related Questions

Are there any scholarships for research degree students and what do they cover?

Scholarships are available for research students by competitive application. Further details on scholarships open for application can be found in the Scholarship section.  Scholarships have three flexible component parts: a living allowance (stipend), tuition fee support and other allowances. The letter of offer to the successful scholarship applicant will specify the individual availability of each component part and this is based on applicant eligibility and scholarship availability.

The living allowance stipend provides a contribution towards the living expenses of the individual scholarship holder only and is not intended to cover all costs. A single student living in Sydney is likely to require approximately AU$19,000-$22,000 for living expenses each year, including accommodation costs.

Coursework Scholarships: Domestic candidates applying for coursework programs should contact the Coursework Studies Section for information on Equity and other coursework scholarships. International candidates applying for coursework programs should contact Macquarie International on information relating to international coursework scholarships or visit the scholarship search page.

What is the academic referee report for? How many referee reports should I submit? How long are they valid? Can they be used more than once?

An Academic Referee Report supports applications for a scholarship in Higher Degree Research at Macquarie University. It should be written by someone (preferably a senior academic) who has provided some form of supervision to the applicant and who has had an  opportunity to assess applicant's research potential in relation to his/her selected topic.

Please note that referee reports are no longer a mandatory requirement for scholarship applications at Macquarie University. However, applicants may wish to submit two referee reports in order to strengthen their application.

Referee reports are valid for six months and can be used to  apply for more than one scholarship in that time.

Does my referee have to be a senior academic?

A senior academic is preferred. However, it is not always possible for applicants to have access to academic staff familiar with recent work. In such cases, applicants should nominate a referee who has provided some form of supervision and who has had an opportunity to assess research potential in relation to the topic.

Has my referee report arrived?

Scholarship applicants should contact their nominated referees directly to check whether their referee reports have been submitted to the Graduate Research Academy.

What if my referee is not able to send the referee report before the closing date?

Reports should be sent within one week of the scholarship closing date to be included in your application. However, please be aware that the referee reports are no longer compulsory.

Can I apply for more than one scholarship and how can I do that?

Yes, applicants may apply for more than one scholarship on the same form. Each scholarship name and reference number (if applicable) must be clearly stated on the form.

Applicants wishing to nominate another scholarship after submission should email the Graduate Research Pre-candidature team at gr.applications@paranormalresponse.com with a request to be assessed for the additional nominated award. Please note that applicants using generic terms like "all" or "any" scholarships will not be processed.

How do I activate my scholarship payments and what do I need to do this?

If you are a stipend recipient and enrolled onsite, please update your banking details in eStudent. The stipend payment will be processed by Human Resources once you are enrolled in the program.

If you are a stipend recipient and approved to receive a stipend while you are enrolled offsite, are required to fill out a Non-Order Payment Form (NOPF) in order to receive your stipend payments. Please return completed NOPF forms to the Graduate Research Pre-candidature team at gr.applications@paranormalresponse.com using the How to fill out NOPF guide.

Scholarships payment can only be made after enrolment commencement and payments can only be made to an Australian financial institution.

There may be a two to four-week delay in recipients receiving their first scholarship payment depending on how the Department of Human Resources (HR) fit in with the fortnightly payroll schedule. Scholarship back-payments are usually made in their first payment. Scholarship recipients may check the details of their scholarship payments via HR Online.

How do I obtain funding for my research expenses?

Funding to support research expenses is available within each Faculty. Principal Supervisors and Faculty HDR Managers should be contacted for further information about the financial support available to assist with research expenses.

Can I defer my scholarship start date?

Scholarship start dates may be deferred with approval from the University subject to the conditions of the award. Requests can be made by email to the Graduate Research Pre-candidature team at gr.applications@paranormalresponse.com. A deferral request for candidature is considered for approval by the Principal Supervisor and the Graduate Research Academy. Generally the maximum deferral allowed is 1 semester.

How soon will I hear about my scholarship application?

HDR candidates who have applied for candidature and scholarship will be assessed for both admission and scholarship at the same time. If the candidate is not successful with their PhD or MPhil application, they will not be considered further for any scholarship and will be notified of their outcome as soon as the results are available.

Generally, applications are first processed by the Graduate Research Academy and are then forwarded to the Faculty for consideration. If candidates are recommended for a scholarship, the recommendation will be reviewed and approved by the Higher Degree Research Committee (HDRC) delegate. Once approved, the candidate will be notified of the outcome. The assessment process takes around 4-6 weeks depending on the type of award under consideration and the timing.

For Government scholarships such as the International Research Training Program scholarship (IRTP) for international candidates or the Research Training Program scholarship (RTP) for domestic candidates, they are considered together as a batch after the closing date(s) (31 August for IRTP and 30 October for RTP). They are first ranked at the departmental level, then at faculty level, after which will be ranked at the university level. The top ranked applicants will be offered the respective government award. The university may also award additional Macquarie University Research Training Program scholarships (MQRTP/iMQRTP) to high-achieving applicants who were unable to get the Government award. At these competitive government scholarship rounds, the IRTP applicants are informed of their outcome sometime in November and the RTP applicants in early December.

How will I be advised of a nomination?

Applicants are advised by email of the application outcome.

I am a scholarship recipient and my scholarship will expire soon but I still need to work on my research. Do I have to pay fees?

International scholarship recipients are not required to pay fees while on a scholarship which includes payment of tuition fees. However, once the scholarship expires, the normal international fee rate applies. If the scholarship expires before the end of the enrolment period, fees may be charged at the beginning of the enrolment period.  Students are expected to pay this fee in advance. If candidates experience problems with fee payment, they can contact student_fees@paranormalresponse.com.  If students have problems in paying their fees and would like to discuss payment plans, they should contact the Assistant Director of Revenue Services prior to the payment due date to make arrangements. Candidates who do not pay their fees by the due date risk enrolment cancellation under the University Policy.

International Research Student Issues

How do I apply for the visa?

International candidates who have been offered a place in a research degree program will need to apply for a student visa before coming to Australia to study. Step by step guides on "how to apply for a student visa" can be found on DHA's website.

I have now got my student visa, where can I find accommodation?

Macquarie International office offers international candidates assistance with airport pickup and accommodation. Candidates are requested to contact the Accommodation Team on housing@paranormalresponse.com directly or to visit Macquarie International's website to apply on-line.

What happens if I miss the Orientation and Commencement programs?

The Graduate Research Academy organises orientation programs for new commencing international research candidates and a Central Commencement Program for all commencing research candidates. Orientation sessions are organised throughout the year. In the event that the candidate has missed the current Orientation session, arrangements will be made for the candidate to attend the next available session. Candidates who miss out on the Central Commencement Program will be invited to participate in the next available Commencement Program, which is usually at the beginning of the following semester. The program may also be completed online. Please see handbook.

How can I apply for my family members to visit me while I am studying in Australia?

International candidates who have enrolled at Macquarie University may apply for their family members to visit Australia during their study period in Australia. Candidates should check with DIHA regarding the exact details for such an application.

How do I renew my Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

International candidates studying on a student visa must ensure that their Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is valid at all times. OSHC should be renewed before expiry. New international candidates applying for a visa after 5 November 2011 are required to purchase OSHC for the full visa period upfront, which includes a period of 8-10 months after the course end date. For further details of this requirements, please check DIHA's website.

Macquarie University's official Health Provider is OSHC Worldcare. Students whose OSHC has been arranged through the University in the first place may wish to check on Macquarie International's site on how to renew OSHC.

Under what circumstances can I suspend my study and how long can I suspend it for?

International candidates who come to study in Australia under a student visa cannot apply for Leave of Absence unless in exceptional circumstances such as personal or serious family illness.  If such circumstance occurs and the student is approved for Leave of Absence as per University Policy, the Graduate Research Academy will report the approved leave to DIHA.  

Any period of approved Leave of Absence will change the candidature end date. A new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) may be issued for the extended candidature.   Students should take the COE to apply for visa extension before their visa expires.   Candidates should check with DIHA for further advice by calling 131881.   Candidates wishing to stay in Australia during the approved leave period should contact DIHA.

Can I suspend my study to go overseas for medical reasons? How long can I suspend my study for?

International candidates with approved Leave of Absence (LOA) due to medical reasons will have their study suspended during the approved LOA period. The Graduate Research Academy will report to DIHA on the suspension of study and the candidate generally will need to leave the country during this LOA period. A new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) may be issued for visa extension if required. International candidates on approved LOA must contact DIHA prior to departure in order to confirm the necessary visa arrangements for return to Australia.

Under the Macquarie University Policy, LOA is considered on a case by case basis and the accumulated period of which should not exceed 12 months.

I have submitted my thesis but my student visa allows me to stay here for another 6 months. Can I stay here and wait for my examination results?

Generally speaking, once a candidate has submitted the thesis, the Graduate Research Academy will report to DIHA. The candidate has a responsibility to contact DIHA regarding any change of visa status. Candidates wishing to stay in Australia while under examination should contact DIHA directly for advice about the relevant visa conditions.

Can I work full-time after I have submitted my thesis?

International candidates who have submitted the thesis will not be enrolled as full-time students and should check with DIHA directly about current visa status and work eligibility.

Am I covered by university insurance on campus or when I travel?

Macquarie University covers researchers for Travel, Public Liability and Accident. More information is available from the  Office of Financial Services 'University Insurance' webpages.

Further FAQs relating to international students

Please check DIHA's site for further information.

Content owner: Graduate Research Academy Last updated: 16 Mar 2023 9:26am

Back to the top of this page